“I’m fat and hate myself. I am a size 24 and feel like a big blob! I was not always so big which makes it worse because I can remember what it was like to be thin. But I get so depressed all I want to do is eat!”
Being overweight can be very upsetting. But once you have decided that you have had enough of being overweight, there are steps that you can do to help combat your weight problem. There are a number of suggestions that I shall list below. These will all help towards your achieving your goal target. The more you do, the better and the faster your chances of success are.
- First of all you may want to speak to a nutritionist. They will help you choose a target weight and the route to go. You can get referred to one from your GP. Alternatively, your GP may be able to help.
- Join a gym or dance class. You need exercise. It speeds up metabolism and increases your calorie burn rate. If a gym is too expensive, grab a friend and go for a daily walk of a minimum of half an hour.
- Cut out Junk Food and Fried Foods.
- Cut out snacks or replace with Fruit.
- Reduce your carbohydrate intake (Pasta, Bread, Potatoes and Rice)
- Increase vegetable intake (without butter or dressing unless fat free)
- Keep 2 pictures handy – One of “fat” you and one of “slim” you. You can use someone else’s body with your head on top for inspiration.
- Do NOT weigh yourself more than once a week.
- Sign up to a diet club like weight watchers or Tesco eDiets.
- Make it a lifestyle change or the weight will go back on.
- Set reasonable goal targets and treat yourself (not with food) when you reach them.
- Try competing with a friend!