“I am 29 and stuck in a dead end job. I know this way I have an income but it is not a good income. I cannot see any career possibilities as the next step is taking my bosses job, which honestly I cannot see happening! I like what I do, but I have no security and no prospects. What should I do?”
Sometimes what we know is what we feel safe with. We know the pros and the cons. And the saying better the devil you know, refers exactly to this situation. You need to sit down and weigh up what your choices are and then decide. Points to consider can include (but are not limited to) the following:-
- If I leave, what is the worst that can happen?
- Am I happy to still be here in 5 / 10 years times?
- Would a pay rise be enough?
- Can I explain what I feel to my boss?
- How about looking for a job before handing in notice?
- What about quiting and just work at looking for a job?
- What are your outgoings? eg you need to pay your rent / mortgage, food, electricity, children
- What will you be happy with? eg increased pay, improved contract, better working hours, more holidays
- Is there another option that you think will suit you better?